Skip to main content

Reply to "What do you collect?"

I have as they say, "sufficient" knowledge on the subject, without in any way being an expert. The are now many web sites doing test reports and they get a chance to comprehensively review cameras. I am in the process of writing test reports on older cameras for a large dealer, so his customers can read "all about it" but so far I have had a Canon EOS1 (with a Rolleiflex is on its way)

If you look at the page I put up for reviews on all Canon models, you will see that there is a now vast number of people writing test reports on them!
All Canon Reviews

I need to do another update as the market moves so swiftly and Canon has introduced another batch of new models. The average "market life span" of a digital compact camera tends to be eight months now before it becomes "uncompetitive". DSLRs have a slightly longer "shelf life", but sometimes this too becomes wallet frightenly short (Olympus & Pentax come to mind as they struggle against the market leaders)

However, if you just want "common sense" advice as to what features to look for (and this applies to other AS memebers) just PM me.

Me? I stick to Nikons from the 80s and have abandoned all thoughts of a DSLR until prices come down and performance rises. I rarely use my digital compact now as I find it far too slow to catch my Grandson in action (compared to any old film camera) I tend just to use it for web work.

If you want to take children & people (e.g. at weddings) There is no substitute for a reflex film camera with a fast "long focus" (80 - 105mm) lens to isolate your subject and blur the background. With prime lenses so cheap on ebay now, I have never owned so many excellent Nikon lenses before in my life.

Paul