Skip to main content

Reply to "Warning, stung by USA postage"

Hi,
I buy most of my items and have them shipped from the US to UK, as long as you e-mail the seller to check costs first then you should not have a problem. The biggest problem with importing stuff from the US is Customs charges. We got stung for a £85 charge on a package because of parcellines handling charges plus VAT on top, there is a limit on how much in value a package can be before customs want their slice, you dont see to pay as much if you do it through the US postal services, fex ex & Global work out very expensive this way.
The other problem is insurance the UK do not do an insured service international for anything over about £30. Even if it is sent registered (requires confirmation of delivery- not necessarly a signature) once it leaves UK shores none of that [which you pay extra for] is guarented - Royal mail class it as beyond their control, the same does not apply when coming from abroad into the UK, we continue to treat them as resistered pacakges.

to give you an example to send to Zone one - [us, canada, south america & middle east]
to send a video cassette in abubble envelope can cost from :
£2.07 international small packet - no insurance takes 5 working days
£4.92 airmail small packet signed for - max insurance £30 trackable until leaves UK shores, cannot see copy of signature, to claim compensation you still need a seperate proof of posting. takes 5 working days
£7.26 same as small packet signed for - but decreases delivery time to 2-3days
£33.10 international datapost- delivery time 2-3days, upto £250 in compensation and you can claim for refund of postage if it is not delviered within 3days

So it is a major mine field when it comes to posting from UK.

Sorry didnt mean to waffle for so long

Toni