Skip to main content

Reply to "Update - Auction Sniper is Currently Down"

quote:
AuctionSniper needs to build redundancy in their system, at several levels. First, bids can be submitted more than once, by two different server sites. Competitors do this now. Second, a separate notification service should be set up, on a different server, to email people who will be affected by an outage of considerable magnitude.
I haven't seemed to be affected by the AS outage/problems of the last few days, even though I had a snipe attempt to fire early on the 28th (didn't win -- bid too low).

If I'm not mistaken, the sniping from multiple servers is already done. I'm really curious how these folks that suggest mass e-mailings think that a "crashed" computer that can't fire snipes can do mass e-mailings?!? Oh yeah, AS needs to have the redundancy of NASA. Hmmm, OK...to PAY for all this wonderful redundancy, I suppose all AS users are willing to PAY 5-times, maybe 10-times, the current snipe cost? Or maybe pay some flat fee for ALL snipes -- win or lose?!?

And another thing, these specific complaints -- "AS down, so I LOST auctions!" Does this mean whenever AS is operating normally, these particular users ALWAYS win??! How does that work? That certainly isn't the way it works for me since I don't have deep pockets or place "nuclear" snipes! Maybe if AS had to increase fees multi-fold to buy redundancy and be able to do mass e-mailings, these deep pocket AS users may not mind, but I WOULD!

AS is a nice tool to have, but I don't count on it alone for "must haves". You get what you pay for, and AS is quite reasonable in cost, which actually is important to me. I don't expect or demand that it be bulletproof!