Skip to main content

Reply to "The case for bidding manually first, then sniping."

I will disagree on both premises. In a reserve auction, I see it no differently than any other auction. I decide my max and let AS do its thing. If my bid was not high enough to meet the reserve, oh well, they wanted more money than I was willing to pay. This is no different to me than losing to another bidder.

To me, proxy bidding to determine the reserve alerts the opposition, just as in any other auction. It seems very impatient (which, IMHO, is the very antithesis of sniping). It is just not worth taking a chance, when you are going to have to wait until the end of the auction, anyway.

I am not sure I understand the other situation. Sometimes I am home and able to watch an auction end, but I still let AS do it, even if I am sitting at the computer. In fact, if I am sitting there, I will bid manually in the final minute--not trying to undo anything AS is doing, just as a back-up in the unlikely event of an AS failure. But I do this, knowing that I will be charged for the snipe. It is more than worth it. I do not see how this would involve not using AS.

I am home and on the forum for a few more days, then I will be away for the holidays, until after New Year's Day. I will not likely be checking the forum in my absence. Frown