Skip to main content

Reply to "Swear"

Taboo is such a strange classification for acts that a society deems inappropriate. Humans have had ecclesiastical and secular laws since they evolved into something more distinctive then their simian cousins (sometime we should discuss that prostitution isn’t the oldest profession). But taboo is an extra restriction reserved for the things that society feels are really nasty, such as incest and cannibalism (additionally strange in that “taboo” originated from a Polynesian language where both were “practiced” – sure wonder what it would have been like if they weren’t rehearsing, but doing it for real).

The ban on cannibalism seems unnatural. I can understand not herding live humans into some Soylent Green recycling plant, but after someone has died from starvation, then why is the thinking that it’s better to let the worms chow down than it is to let the humans? The Leningrad Siege is a great example – although there was some A.1. Steak Sauce used on a few, most didn’t indulge. In fact, those that were starving used up scarce calories to bury the starved. The team that was stranded in the Andes had the right approach (“You can eat me if I can eat you” – loose interpretation).

Now, I wouldn’t suggest drinking some Chianti like Hannibal Lecter – that would be completely inappropriate – better a Cabernet.

Food for thought - there are those strict vegetarians that won’t even pull fruit from a tree but wait until the fruit drops on it’s own – well, that would have applied to Leningrad (they were definitely dropping on their own).

And, I don’t think murder is considered a taboo. Personally, I would give a higher rating to something that happens to my body before I’m dead than afterwards.

It’s funny the emphasis, and sometime violent reaction, we give to some words, and the emphasis we don’t give to others. It’s also funny (meaning sad) how the same word can be acceptable, and almost commonplace, when said by one person, but upsetting when said by another.