Skip to main content

Reply to "suggestions for lead time"

quote:
After losing many, many auctions due to Auction Sniper failing to place the bids in time...

After posting many many times hoping users would get a clue they still havent.

Click the words "Not in time" next to your losing auction. They aren't caused by us! We always bid on time. Always, always, always, always. Want to be perfectly clear I do mean always. Yes, I am sure. Always. If we dont then we'll post in our announcement board. But as you can see, that's been only a few times in almost 3 years. So I'll go ahead and stick with always. We either bid, or dont bid. We pretty much dont bid late. So again I'll say we always bid on time.

Perhaps we should change our "Not in time" message to "eBay Error" or more simply "eBay Sucks, blame them."

There isnt a need for 30 second lead times. We already adjust peak period lead times for you. Although if you'd like to feel safe go ahead and use 30 second lead times on any snipe that ends within 10 seconds of any quarter hour. Other than that they arent needed.

I am glad 30 seconds is working for you. But I'm pretty sure that 5 seconds would work equally well. eBay was rolling out new servers and code several weeks back. For about a 6-8 week time frame they had many more of those errors than normal. We haven't changed a thing, and those errors have dropped by 2-3x. Again showing, it's a problem on their end, not ours.

In the past week only about 1 in 4000 bids is "Not in time." And I'd be willing to bet they are probably bids at one of those freaky peak times I mentioned and we already adjust them. Sometime eBay just eats it. 1 in 4000 is pretty darn good though. Better than manual snipers could do by probably 100x-250x.