Skip to main content

Reply to "Sniper Ads in My Auctions?"

Sellers, of course, welcome any increase in their final prices. However, as I recall from previous discussions here, the locus of this discussion (does sniping help sellers?) depends on one's comparative point of reference.

If one is comparing the final auction price with what it would have been had the sniper simply never bid, then naturally the end price was raised by the sniper and the seller is happy. Smile However, if one is comparing the outcome of the auction with what would likely have transpired if the sniper bid his same max bid earlier in the auction, then often the result would be quite different. Bidding wars may have ensued and the final price may have been driven much higher. After all, the whole reason we snipe is because we know that the same max bid earlier in the auction might bring about other, higher bids.

Some sellers who rail against snipers highlight this very point. Don't get me wrong; obviously I do not share their views. I am simply saying that claims that snipers help sellers (and eBay) get more money are based on the premise of the sniper bidding the last second of an auction versus not bidding on that auction at all. They do not consider the scenario of the last-second snipe versus the same amount bid earlier in the auction. Wink