Skip to main content

Reply to "See you later!"

quote:
Originally posted by region2:
I read somewhere that 2CVs were one of the most dangerous cars to be in in a crash...

R2

I have also heard this, R2, but that is something I could easily wear a soapbox or two out on!
I have never heard of anyone with a 2CV being killed in one, but I hear and see plenty with 'safer' cars being killed, usually in the early hours of the morning, with a load of 17-25 year olds wrapped around a tree.

Indeed, in a 2CV there are no bits of scaffolding inside the doors, whoopee cushions that cost £££ to replace, other bits of TLAs and alphabet soup that give you the attitude of 'I'm OK - it doesn't matter how I drive, I will be safe, and the other poor sod will be killed'. Driving is dumbed down.

What the Deuche does have is good primary safety; excellent brakes, good roadholding, straight-line steering so if you get a blowout at 80 mph, you will be brought to rest in a straight line.
With its economy, superb build quality and amount of room inside, there is really no contest!

As far as secondary safety goes, a head-on collision will push the engine under the substantial floor and the single-spoke steering wheel will bend out of the way, so your chest is protected.

The marketroids do not mention such things. Neither do they say anything about the tiny windows that cars seem to have now - cf Audi A4. Safety? I like to be able to see!

There no unsafe cars, just unsafe drivers - more of them as time goes on.
</rant>