Skip to main content

Reply to "Public privates!"

Christine,

I agree with your statement about classics. Maybe that’s one of the requirements to be a classic – a teacher makes you read it. A lot of people end up reading them to get a grade, which is the same as getting approval from someone else. It seems a better motivation to read something to get approval from one’s self. Reading should be a pleasure, not something one does because it’s an assignment (that’s probably true for everything in life). Forcing someone to read could backfire – instead of appreciating a book, a person ends up disliking it and perhaps dislikes other great books. No one has to force anyone to eat chocolate (I think that’s fairly accurate).

I’m not sure of the dynamics. You are recent to schooling, so you would have a better insight. It seems that schools provide a benefit in “forcing” students to read this kind of literature, in that the students probably wouldn’t have the time as adults. That’s a plus, and the educational system must hook some readers, other than someone getting a degree in literature so that they can go out and force other students to read these books. On the other hand, once someone has read a book, it seems less likely they will read the book again. The “been there, done it” kicks in, so they feel they’ve already “accomplished” the book, so no need to read it again. The downside to that is that as we get older, we hopefully have more experiences. Without these experiences, the ideas contained in a book don’t impact us the same way. I think someone said that reading lets us know we’re not alone (or something like that, but that probably applies to all art).

It’s such a shame that these books are read to get a grade, instead of read to be enjoyed. Cliffs Notes are an extension of this. Most people view Cliffs Notes as synonymous with cheating, or at least, not doing the “work” (funny word to be used for getting educated). It wouldn’t occur to most people to both read the novel and the Cliffs Notes. Fairly difficult to “fully” understand a great book solely by reading it. There’s usually more going on than just that which is on the surface. That is an advantage of reading in school – the teacher will/can hopefully point out the more subtle issues. It might surprise people when they see someone reading those yellow covers pamphlets with the black stripes - Cliffs Notes can provide some valuable enhancements to the reading experience (reading should be an experience). Maybe that’s a better definition of a “classic” – a book that has a Cliffs Notes.

I get that “I read that in school” response from well-educated people, but it’s been 30 years since they read it! They must have incredible memories, and very few experiences since going to school. With all that said, I think school is mostly wasted on younger people that aren’t interested in an education for the experiences that an education can/should provide, but as a vehicle to get into a career. The grade thing is particularly disturbing – but I don’t have a better alternative, especially when certain jobs require a degree.

Don’t think changing the Russian names to American nicknames would improve their popularity, but I know that was a rhetorical question. You have several hobbies. At some point, once you’ve spent time at some introductory level of challenge with a hobby (or any task), you are ready for the next level. That’s part of your bread making and fiber processing (et al). Spinning (such as coconut fiber), looming, knitting, and wheat grinding are more examples. For some of us, reading is the same. At some point, we need some reading that is more challenging. When that happens, a person finds a copy of a book like The Brothers Karamazov , or more likely the book finds them. The Russian names add to the challenge, therefore adding to the enjoyment. But, I did get a laugh out of your example name changes.

Did not know about the “y” in the middle of Dostoevsky’s name.

I think Twain was successful enough in his lifetime to know that he would not be forgotten. It seems that Wilde didn’t have that pleasure.

Don’t see how you have the time to read, but I find that people find time for things they enjoy, even if they don’t have the time.

Wow! Except for three-worded character names that end with “vitch”, looks like I might have posted a Russian novel. If this was a classic post, there’d be a Cliffs Notes, or it would be required forum reading (pop quiz time).