Skip to main content

Reply to "Public privates!"

Christine,

quote:
I just sniped an old book of his essays and letters (things that supposedly aren't in print any more) so maybe there'll be more good stuff in there.
Change my previous comment to “... and Two Hobbies.” Sounds like an interesting read. Since the audience for a letter is one, or few, letters don’t need to have mass appeal, so they might be more honest or revealing. I like Wilde’s writing, but like you feel about Twain, I’m more into his quotes. I wonder how Twain and Wilde would have felt had they known that there would be a time when people would quote them on a sniping forum? Of course, ebay was in its formative stages when they were alive.

Strange someone would try to sell something that was such an obvious fake. Even stranger, would be someone bidding on it.

I didn’t know that Twain wrote The Brothers Karamazov. Live and learn – hopefully.

The Brothers is some serious reading. Not something to be picked up casually. Reading a book like that is the equivalent of marriage, or at least a serious commitment, in bibliophile terms. Most book reads are quickies, or weekend flings. It’s not just that Russian books are big, but the characters’ names are big – and the names all look alike. Most everyone has three names (each having 20+ letters with an “vitch” at the end) and all three names are used in various combinations. But, anything worthwhile is worth the involvement.

Very rarely do I find someone reading that kind of a book, or other classics, over 25. Typically when I mention titles to people I get the, “Oh, I read that in high school/college”. Such a pity. 10 to 50 years have gone by, and they haven’t re-exposed, or initially exposed, them self to something that would have more meaning.

I think you’re right - Sir Burton did write something worth reading. I believe he was able to obtain copies of several stories that Elizabeth Taylor told Malcolm Forbes during their evenings together.