Skip to main content

Reply to "Postage and Handling Rip Off?"

quote:
Originally posted by Camera Collector:
Take care of your own petty bitching little life and leave me alone!
I guess bitching is no longer filtered.

Tappit,

You probably already thought of this (noticed that didn’t stop me from dribbling on), but this forum represents a small percentage of ebay users. First off, those that typically come to a sniping forum are buyers. There are some that do “some” selling, but buying has a lot more experience on this forum. Now, we do occasionally get the upset seller that comes on the forum and says that he wishes all snipers would “rot in hell” for sniping his auctions, but they are fortunately in the minority, although they definitely get a warm reception. Being buyers and doing what buyers do, they will always say they want the best price possible. But, the truth isn’t what they say, but what they do. So, other sellers might have better experiences in the “real world”.

Also, this is a forum for snipers. Now, snipers are a unique breed (small percentage of the buyers). They wouldn’t be paying AS a fee unless they expected to get the item cheaper than without sniping. The fact that they are competitive enough to snipe also impacts the type of advice you’ll receive here.

With those disclaimers out of the way, time to take on my “self opinionated, interfering know-it-all” role (something that most everyone on this forum, other than AS staff, indulges in).

Personally, I like sellers that have high shipping and handling. I figure that it discourages some/lots-of buyers from participating in the auction, which discourages the emotionalism, which discourages bidding wars. If I see something that I’m willing to spend $400 for, and the seller is charging $100 s&h, then I figure that $300 should be my top bid. Not sure how many others feel that way, so I doubt I represent the market place.

I’m a strong believer in the seller passing their costs onto the buyer. If they don’t, they won’t be a seller for long. Hell, I don’t even get upset when a seller makes a profit on me (I know – radical thinking), but I do get a little worried when they want to name their first-born “Rick”.

If the amount of shipping and handling is disclosed on the auction, then I figure the buyer has been warned, and that’s that. Unfortunately, I’ve seen too many people on this forum look at the actual shipping costs once they’ve received the goodies and feel that the difference between actual and billed was “unfair, immoral, and criminal” and get on the forum and piss’n moan.

Now, you could go into an explanation as to why you are charging for gas, your time, and a couple of beers to recuperate from the 5 mile drive to the supermarket, and there maybe someone else besides myself that would find that perfectly acceptable, but then again, considering the “outrageous question” you already got on your auction, do you really feel all that lucky? (my compliments for adding that Q & A to your listing)

I’m not a seller (it’s my bad attitude), but according to someone that does this full time, they suggest the lowest (painfully low) starting price and handling so as to get more people interested, and let the “If *they* want it then *I* must want it” mentality kick in.

Boozer just said, “Hi! . . . hiccup.”