Skip to main content

Reply to "Postage and Handling Rip Off?"

This past week I won an auction for a heavy item. It's cast iron and weighs 58 pounds. I e-mailed the seller before EOA and he quoted me $46.48 to ship it (within the US). I put in a snipe even though the shipping was a little steep. After the auction closed he told me shipping would be $120.72!! I've shipped big heavy car parts across the country for much less than that. I refused to pay that much for shipping and the seller said he'd send it for what he quoted earlier, but he wasn't happy because he didn't think he'd made enough money off of the item.

Then a few days after he thanked me for the quick Paypal payment in the positive feedback, he e-mailed me to say he hadn't gotten the payment (non-paying bidder). I e-mailed back saying I have the Paypal e-mail receipt and the payment shows as claimed on his end, and I planned to open a Paypal investigation. Within minutes he found the payment! Hopefully it'll arrive soon.

The $120.72 would have brought the price up to what he'd originally paid for it new so that he could get all his money back on it.

Sellers who try to make their money on shipping are a reeeal pain. Mad