Skip to main content

Reply to "opion about bid"

quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
quote:
this book!
“This book” was a U.K. #1 bestseller – is there a relationship between the popularity of this book and the popularity of cricket in England?

Interspersing her lessons with bits of history (the apostrophe dates from the 16th century; the first semicolon appeared in 1494)
What a page-turner! It will be difficult to wait for the movie. I wonder who will play the parts of the punctuation marks. Perhaps the acting credits will be something like:
      Arnold Schwarzenegger as !
      Alex Trebek as ?
      The Joker as Alex’s understudy
      still casting for the roles of ’, :, ;, ., and ,.

Just wait for the sequel, Rick Big Grin
I think that Lynne Truss's humour may get missed in the USA, as all humour is very national, nay, even regional.
quote:

It appears reality imitates humor, or something along those lines. BBC radio productions has/had(?) a “hit series” about punctuation titled “Cutting a Dash” – I’m not making this up. Looks like Big Bird is going to have competition for the Oscar.

Did not hear of that one.
quote:

I have learned that Greek dramatists gave the world the comma, colon, and period – fascinating. And, I mistakenly thought the Brits were somewhat boring.

Some are, some are not. Probably just like Americans.
quote:

This book has over 400 Amazon reviews, PLUS has a 4 star rating – that has to make the Brits proud.

Sadly, we are not high on national pride here.
We have Dickens, Rowling, Peake as well.