Skip to main content

Reply to "OFF TOPIC THREAD"

Aussie,

It’s been awhile since I did a book report on Jack, and Cliffs Notes aren’t as detailed as they should be, so I have to rely on memory (don’t forget, guys aren’t noted for having good memories – convenient yes, but not good).

The gold-laying goose should stay in the story. But, I do have a problem with the Giant’s wife. She seems like a nice lady, so why is she married to such a grouch? I can’t find any specific reference to domestic violence, but the Giant’s attitude would suggest it. It seems like the wife could do better, or was the supply of eligible Giant bachelors limited?

I also think Jack could have been more considerate of the Giant’s wife. Jack takes off and never calls nor writes Mrs. Giant.

The story could use modernization – at a minimum the wife sues for divorce and obtains 50% of the Giant’s property (minus the goose and the golden harp that Jack stole from Mr. & Mrs. Giant).

Seems to me, the two male figures (Jack and the Giant) aren’t the best of guy role models. The Giant is a cannibal and Jack is a thief, and an ingrate.

Of course, the wife letting Jack into the house while her husband is at work suggests infidelity, but that could be saved for another version.