Skip to main content

Reply to "Missed snipe"

quote:
AS couldn't possibly be silly enough to place their web server on the same machine(s) as the bid submitting servers (could they?)

No. Bidding is done from 3 different servers.
quote:
so maybe their network connection was congested?

In 3 different colocation facilities throughout California, i.e. 3 different physical locations for those 3 bidding servers. Thus that also pretty much rules out conjestion. While our site might be slow none of the bidding servers or facilities would be since they are dedicated only to bidding. We put a lot of thought into this when it was designed and I believe our technology outpaces everyone in this areana.

The usual reason for our site being slow is because eBay is slow. That is because of people logging into our site and clicking the buttons to update their snipes info on the My Snipes tab.

I was on last night from 7:30-8:30 and things were running ok. Last night was eBays busiest day in the past 6 months as far as I could tell, maybe even all year.

As usual most problems occured on the hour/quarter hour/half hour increments. 8 seconds simply wont work for those times for the rest of the year. Summer is slower but eBay is picking back up. I'd only recommend 30 second snipes at those times from 5pm-8:45pm nightly, and especially Sunday.
Last edited {1}