Skip to main content

Reply to "Made in Macau"

It was great finding the sites and exploring them. I used to work with my uncle Rex doing small dsiplays. I had no idea that people collected small packs and bricks. What a great collecting idea and hobby.

My interest started as a kid going to the fairgrounds on the 4th and seeing small shows by our Fire Company. The first big event was for the Alaska Statehood Show but it was just a blast -built on price alone.. Later I had the opportunity to be Arena Shows producer for
the National Boy Scout Jamboree at Moraine State Park
in Butler PA. This took me a year. I had a big fixed budget, but more important the state was concerned about the Fireworks wadding refuse that would be left in the park landscape. So I spent a week with the Zambelli Family in New Castle, PA. and we came up with a plan for a Giant show of flashy shells
and a bombastic syncopated recorded sound track.
I borrowed the Army's Giant speakers used in Vietnam for Psy-War from choppers = and had the Sound done by McCune Sound from Frisco. The whole show of 28 minutes was recorded and cued
on a 4 track tape.
The finale was a 40 ft set piece of the emblem of the Jamboree theme which I raised up 80 feet with a crane. I had a song written called "Growing Together" by Tom Tierney which was sung by the 20,000 scouts holding lighted candles as the emblem was ignited. The plan was for the
lighted emblem to grow as it burned up the outline of a Stalwart Tree - first the light green the youth being supported by the dark green
the Scout Leaders and then the Red Fleurdeleis.
But because we had 4 days of rain, elements got wet. and...
There was a Giant Cloud of smoke which rose up from the canyon floor like you were in the Middle of an Atomic Bomb Blast. The cloud lifted and left the entire piece blazing in full
burn for the last words of the song. Then I fired three Giant clusters of Red White and Bkue from Horizon to Horizon with a thunderous Stereo Salute from the back of the Forest. The M C was Danny Thomas and he was standing downstage which was "trembling & shaking" he was
holding the single candle with which he lit the show. He was " Sobbing" and I heard him say
Un----ing Believable"....... His last show for us.
It was my short bit of fame and I relive it in my dreams - often.
The Master tape had been made for me by Dick Ross of Disney and they use the effect everynight now at EPCOT in Orlando. It saves them money and tons of paper wadding cleanup, For shows every night .
I wanted to see the Kentucky Derby Festival
Opening by Zambelli in 2001 featuring 51,000
blasts in the night - it was called "Festival Odyssey " which I heard in my wheelchair in the nursing home on the phone.. It should have been called " Thunder Over Louisville as we try to Blow Up The Clark Street Bridge." as you said -
You just never know what you'll find on the "Forum"
mory
Last edited {1}