Skip to main content

Reply to "Let me get this straight......"

quote:
Originally posted by caneartist:
Although "ij" is a Dutch thing, and is pronounced like a "y" or "i" - as in Rijn (Rhine, the river that ends up in the North Sea), the viij is actually a Roman 8 - VIII. I think the "j" was just a flourish.
---------------------------------------------
How about that? I learned something new today! Cool.

I have an old mantle clock bought in Germany in 1965. Stopped working and it costs a small fortune to get it repaired now. Too bad you live "over there." LOL!

Nancy
Most newer clocks like this wear quite a lot. There are many more clock repairers in the USA, though. They do have a habit of swapping movements, though, which I object to. However, if a clock needs $500 labour spending on it, and a movement is $200, I suppose that this has to be so.
It is probably either a Kieninger, Urgos or Hermle.
It may be worth registering on here to get an idea if there are any forum members near you who can help.
Mark Butterworth is the expert on these sorts of clocks. It's mantel by the way, as in "mantelpiece". A mantle you either set light to or chuck it over your shoulder. Wink
All my mantles you set light to (I have a small collection of pressure lanterns and stoves).

Good that your results have arrived, even though there is a bit more work to do, the uncertainty has gone.
I have had two knackered discs for about 30 years now, but the good news is that as you get older the discs get harder, and give less trouble by touching bits of spinal cord (I call it my wiring loom).
Two Tramadols every day for life mean that I can crawl under cars and lift heavy radios with no pain. Big Grin