Skip to main content

Reply to "Let me get this straight......"

quote:
Originally posted by Camera:
quote:
Galoshes, Nancy. Like this

I had heard the term Mike, but never had registered what it meant.

Interesting.

I have inherited two old (19th century) clocks, but after many years they became unreliable and I stopped winding them up.

Paul
Most clocks of this age only need a service - dismantle, clean, reassemble and oil. Depending on what sort they are, a days' work.
Newer (20th c) clocks usually wear more - many of those in the 1970s on are totally knackered after 10 years!
quote:

The trouble is that there are no competant clock repairers in the area that I know of. A lost art? I just heard horror stories of "bodging" & overcharging.

Sadly, true. There are probably only a few dozen "real" clockmakers iin the UK. I exclude myself as I have never repaired clocks professionally. Messrs Bodgit and Scarper often belong to august bodies like the NAWCC and BHI, so there is no guarantee at all that membership will get you a proper job. In the 1700s, anyone who did not belong to the Clockmakers' Company would get no work at all, and if they did not do a proper job, their feet would not touch the ground!
quote:

In the end I found a chap on the far side of the country (Leicester) who advertised old clocks on eBay and seemed to have a good reputation.

However, four months down the line, one is still not ready!

Hmmm.....what sort of clocks are they, and what is the reason for the delay? If the word "parts" is mentioned, grab the clocks and run. Eek
You could have dropped them off here - about the same distance? I could probably have sorted them in a few weeks.