Skip to main content

Reply to "Let me get this straight......"

quote:
Originally posted by caneartist:
the old accounts in my clock books from. say, 1400 forward, have strange words in them. "viij shillings to take up the peys and the plummys" Eight shillings to wind up the weights!
---------------------------------------------
I think I could have figured that one out. Just looking at it, "plummys" immediately struck me as similar to "plumb" or "plumb bob" which of course, is a weight on the end of a line.

I am sure that is where the word came from - I often wonder if they spoke these words as well, just the same?
quote:

And, I looked at "viij," which looks Dutch and thought perhaps it was pronounced "vay". That rhymes with eigh-t.

Although "ij" is a Dutch thing, and is pronounced like a "y" or "i" - as in Rijn (Rhine, the river that ends up in the North Sea), the viij is actually a Roman 8 - VIII. I think the "j" was just a flourish.
quote:

And then "to take up," well, that's obvious. Maybe there was no word for "wind" back then.

But I did get the general idea of the sentence! Not bad for a Yank, don't you think?

Agreed, Nancy! Big Grin
quote:

Got any more? Do you collect clocks? I collect Roman coins and arifacts that I can afford, and all kinds of other things.

I collect clocks, but don't really have a collection! What is he saying? OK - I have been interested in making and restoring clocks for about 40+ years now, but all the clocks in the house have to actually work and be useful; if not, or I tire of them, they are sold.
The oldest one we have dates from ca 1720:

It is still doing the same job, and just as well, as it did when new nearly three centuries ago. This is the last time I had to service it:

As a contrast, here is one I made about 10 years ago:

quote:

Made a call to the Bone Marrow and Transplant Clinic where I had my biopsy done. Got an answering machine. Why does that not surprise me? Roll Eyes They'll probably call in about another 5 hours like last time. As I write, it is almost 11:30 AM. (biting fingernails)

Shipwreck

We are waiting! Good luck! Smile