Skip to main content

Reply to "Let me get this straight......"

quote:
Originally posted by caneartist:
quote:
Out schools ceased to teach English spellong or grammar

YES! I noticed that I has misspelled "grammar" the minute I sent that last post.

I have a warped sense of humour, Nance. Wink
quote:

What do you mean your schools have ceased to teach English spellong? That's as ridiculous as making Ebonics a standard form of English that should be taught in American school too!

I had to google for Ebonics - didn't know that was what it was called!
I agree - it is ridiculous. Occasionally, the gubmint ostensibly wake up and bleat about having to do something about it, but it has not happened, yet. Employers despair about prospective employees being illiterate, through no fault of their own. However, when these folks get past teenage years and their hormones are sorted Smile, one would think that they would get off their a***s and do something about it!
quote:

It's interesting how languages evolve. I love the sound of Middle English, but the meaning of many of the words elude me.

Which brings me back to my question: What did "Early English" sound like? Or did they just grunt at each other during the week and then listen to Latin on Sundays? No wonder the cathedrals of Europe have gargoyles and grotesques. Maybe the people back then actually looked like that! LOL! Big Grin

Thanks for the support. I appreciate it.

There are still a few gargoyles alive and well! Smile
Some of the old illuminated texts are probably Middle English, but I find the actual letters difficult to read. Some of the old accounts in my clock books from. say, 1400 forward, have strange words in them. "viij shillings to take up the peys and the plummys" Eight shillings to wind up the weights!