Skip to main content

Reply to "Lead Time drifting away"

Yeah, the one time I dealt with AS 'support', it was like I was dealing with an obstreperous teenager, probably because that's exactly what he was!

I digress. There's a theoretical reason to extend your lead times a bit. If two snipe bidders place identical bids, the first one wins, so you might as well be the first one at (say) ten seconds, rather than the second one at (say) two seconds. This should also work to protect you against incomplete bid increments, which are treated effectively as equal bids.

Suppose an item goes into the last minute with a highest proxy bid of $50. You have a programmed snipe of $75.01 at 10sec, so the price goes to $51. Joe Blow also has a programmed snipe of $75.99 , but his is set to go at 5sec. When his bid's placed, the price goes to $75. You still win, even though your bid was $0.98 lower than his. But if Joe Blow had set his snipe for 15sec instead of 5sec, he would have won.

Nobody on the planet has a fast enough connection to respond to an automated snipe bid placed any time in the last 20sec of an auction. Within limitations, there is an advantage to placing your bid first.