Skip to main content

Reply to "Lead time completely off base--and cost me an item"

quote:
I can hear them now: “I wish he would just go away.”

Why? If you went, that would only leave four "old timers" to answer all those 1001 questions about why Auction Sniper's Sunday auto advance feature is not as accurate as it should be.

So perhaps it is time to tell the truth, relieve your burden and provide a definitive answer to all those who are disatisfied with the service.

It's like this:

Downtown Chico, late Sunday Night. A shuffling figure comes down Broadway's sidewalk, crosses the road and enters 119. It is quite a shabby building, in contrast to its neighbours, paintwork peeling, door one of those cheap fireboard and wood constructions, wedged somewhat precariously between Sonya's Massage Parlour and the Wung Ton Chinese laundry.

He inserts his key, gives the door a kick to free it from the frame and walks in. Upstairs, operator Dan is just going off shift and is in a great hurry to hand over (as usual). Nothing much is said - the routine is known. 8,000 bids on a peak night and all the operator has to do is monitor the dial that says "ebay current bid delay" and transfer that value to the master control dial on the four bid placing computers. This is done every five minutes in peak period, but less frequently - perhaps every 30 minutes or so - as the night progresses.

Our operator settles down to another busy Sunday night. About two hours into the shift, he feels hungry and gets his sandwiches out. Tonight, as usual, he feels it is time for a coffee.
"Damn" "nearly time for the value to be transferred"

Now I ask you - if you are thirsty and the choice was between getting a nice warm cup of coffee and advancing all the bids just by a minute or two, what would you choose?

Paul

I hope that provides the complete answer to all your questions about AS's early bids.

See Rick, I too, can be helpful & informative!