Skip to main content

Reply to "Lead time completely off base--and cost me an item"

quote:
Originally posted by Chatter:
There is a pretty good chance that the winning bidder was a sniper, just like yourself, and was planning to make his bid in the last few seconds, regardless of any other bids, just as you did
“That is just the point—this is only an assumption.”

quote:
Originally posted by airplanenut:
For what AS did, I could have easily done better, even on this slower connection.
Yes, Jeremy, 40 seconds is too early. The reason we snipe is to avoid encouraging other bidders to bid against us. This is such a sniping fundamental, that I struggle to understand why others don’t understand it. 40 seconds is enough for most anyone, even R2, to respond to someone else’s bid.

You’ll notice that the responses on this thread are what could be called smoke-and-mirrors. Instead of responding to the issue that your snipe was placed 36 seconds early, everything BUT that is discussed. It’s the standard-AS-forum-users’ response. “It’s not the last snipe”; “My snipes work”; “The other sniper used a service so regardless you would have lost” – smoke and mirrors. “That is odd”; “might have won”; “There is a pretty good chance” – standard smoke and mirrors. Trust me on this: come back in a couple of months and you’ll see pretty much the same responses, AND, “there is a pretty good chance” they’ll even be from the same users.

Jeremy, having been through this issue more times then I can justify by responding with just a cliché, as those above, you SHOULD expect to receive input as to why your snipe was not placed with the lead-time that you requested. For some reason, some, or most, of the regulars on this forum feel compelled to address that with comments that have nothing to do with the actual issue, that being, “WHY WAS MY SNIPE PLACE 36 SECONDS EARLY?” For some reason, some, or most, of the regulars on this forum feel that a user is in the wrong to inquire as to why their snipe wasn’t placed at the requested lead-time. I suspect that the other forum users are suffering from some forum of burn out, and instead of justifying, or even discussing, WHY the snipe was placed early, they are retreating to the tried-and-proven responses that shutdown such inquires.

I hope you stick with AS, but I hope you stick with it for the right reasons.

To the forum regulars – I know this is asking a lot, but can’t you just once be a little more creative, and god forbid, relevant?

To Jeremy - I suspect this is more drama than you wanted.