Skip to main content

Reply to "Is the UK ready....."

quote:
quote:
M62+M61+M6 probably, then A74 (or if more recent, M74) probably.
15 or so years ago. Not sure if that’s considered recent in England – probably not.

Subjective, I suppose - at that time the A74 (dual carriageway) was becoming the M74 (motorway)

quote:
It looked like we were going to get a medium-sized one. The city had a billboard at the intersection with a diagram of the roundabout. But, the natives, fearing carnage, repealed the idea. Instead, there’s the typical square intersection with left/right turn lanes and left turn arrows. Say, what happens to the pedestrians in roundabouts, or is it “survival of the fittest”?

A lot of the main intersections in/near towns and cities have pedestrian underpasses, others have traffic lights (pelican crossings) near roundabouts.
The roundabout to end all roundabouts!
BTW, priority is to traffic already on the roundabout, with the occasional exception clearly marked. Some busy ones have a slip road that bypasses the next exit.
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mike from West Yorkshire:
We also have the pub just down the road where the Luddites . . .
Are there no bars or nightclubs in England – just pubs?

We have both. Bars and clubs are mainly in cities, and places to avoid. You can have the privilege of paying to go in and drinking beer, wine and spirits with a big markup on price, and having your eardrums assaulted with some cacophonous racket.
Me - I like actually talking to people over a drink, so it is pubs.
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mike from West Yorkshire:
. . .and worked at a nearby church - this being the highest one in the county - as a vicar.
Is that in altitude, authority, or hallucinogens? I assume you’re discussing the building and not the
vicar, or the parishioners.

About 900ft above sea level!