Skip to main content

Reply to "Is the UK ready....."

quote:
Originally posted by Rick:

Found the Yorkshire Dales and Peak District National Parks in the atlas, but the only “Lakes” is in Barbados. I found a Lake District National Park, but that’s too far away from you.
It was the Lake District, Rick - colloquially 'Lakes'. Not too far, and easy motorway access.
quote:

I also see there’s a North, South, and West Yorkshire, but the other quadrant is called East Riding of Yorkshire. Is there a story there, or did some poor horseman get lost and couldn’t understand the directions he got from someone visiting from Lancashire?

Originally they were West, North and East Ridings, but one county. Riding, IIRC, is a mediaeval term based on how far you could ride around the boundary in a day.
When England rearranged the counties in the 1970s, North, West and South Yorkshires became autonomous counties, and Cleveland and North Humberside were created from the old bit of Yorkshire.
There was an outcry in the 1980s or 90s, so North Humberside went back to its original name of East Riding.
quote:

I did spend a little time in Manchester (weeks versus months or years – it was well after the U.S. occupation of England), which looks close to you.

35 miles away or so - across the Pennines, but maybe not in winter!
quote:

I remember driving up to Scotland, but have no idea what motorway I used (at the time my hands were full trying to stay on the right (left) side of the road and contemplating the metaphysical meaning of round-abouts).

M62+M61+M6 probably, then A74 (or if more recent, M74) probably.
I only realised recently that there were no roundabouts in USA. Or are there some?
I find that there is not really a problem driving on the right in Europe - everyone else is doing it!
quote:

I didn’t realize “The Wars of the Roses” was in your neighborhood. The big problem with English history is that there’s too much of it - much shorter course in the States. But, being global newbies, we are trying very hard to make up for lost time.

We also have the pub just down the road where the Luddites arranged their meetings, and where Patrick Bronte (he of daughters Anne, Emily and Charlotte fame) lived 1/2 mile away and worked at a nearby church - this being the highest one in the county - as a vicar.