Skip to main content

Reply to "Is the UK ready....."

quote:
Originally posted by Mike from West Yorkshire:
That was in Lancashire . . .
Yorkshire – Lancashire, to an American you Shires all look alike.

Found the Yorkshire Dales and Peak District National Parks in the atlas, but the only “Lakes” is in Barbados. I found a Lake District National Park, but that’s too far away from you. I also see there’s a North, South, and West Yorkshire, but the other quadrant is called East Riding of Yorkshire. Is there a story there, or did some poor horseman get lost and couldn’t understand the directions he got from someone visiting from Lancashire?

I did spend a little time in Manchester (weeks versus months or years – it was well after the U.S. occupation of England), which looks close to you. I remember driving up to Scotland, but have no idea what motorway I used (at the time my hands were full trying to stay on the right (left) side of the road and contemplating the metaphysical meaning of round-abouts).

I didn’t realize “The War of the Roses” was in your neighborhood. The big problem with English history is that there’s too much of it - much shorter course in the States. But, being global newbies, we are trying very hard to make up for lost time.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike from West Yorkshire:
Not a bad idea, but house prices are going up!
Hey, if you’ve got cellars in the attics, it’s only natural that everything should be raising (IMNotSoHO).