Skip to main content

Reply to "Is the UK ready....."

quote:
Originally posted by Camera:
Rick, there's a famous Yorkshire saying - 'there's nowt as queer as folk'. Perhaps it should be amended to read:

"there's nowt as queer as Yorkshire folk"

Cellar in the loft indeed - nodding his head sagely!

That is not a Yorkshire custom, Paul, it is simply the fact that we don't have a cellar, but have a loft that covers four rooms!
BTW, I am only a proxy (note the 'r' Wink) Yorkshireman - I hail from Somerset.
quote:

Other possible Yorkshire "isms" to ponder on:

Hear all, see all, say nowt. Eight all, sup all, pay nowt and if tha ever does owt for nowt allus do it for thi sen

As 'appy as a pig in’t’trough

Wer's thus muck thus brass

Pop thi clogs

Wha arta bletherin abaht?

Paul

P.S. This is the old and correct use of the word "queer" which predates by a century or two its modern usage. It just means "peculiar"

Even that one has been hijacked by gay now. Eek
It took me a while to understand some of the Yorkshire dialects, and I get baffled still.
Apparently the signs on level crossings without barriers that had notices 'Stop while lights are flashing' caused accidents because 'while' means 'until' on some parts! Frown

The word 'since' used as 'ago' still catches me out - someone says 'I did this a week since' and I am waiting for 'since what?' and realise that is it!

It is only one of the richly varied dialects all over the country, though.

I used to work in the south of Lancashire - near Wigan, famed for its pier.
I asked someone for directions, and got: "Tha goos ter lawn yed and goos left at t'robots. Tha's geet reet wishut! Tha's bin agate today?"
Translation: "You go to Lane Head and turn left at the lights. You look a bit wet! Were you busy today?"