Skip to main content

Reply to "Is the UK ready....."

quote:
Originally posted by Bartelby:
He has done a very good job of changing tuck shop ways over there and has been to the US to do the same I believe.
Had to look up “tuck shop”. I thought it was a typo and the U.S. was following Amsterdam’s retail example.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike from West Yorkshire:
Back to schoolkids being obese in England, that is only one of the problems that later generations will suffer from:
Don’t know about there, Mike, but over here, for the first half of the 20th century (or thereabouts), it was considered a sign of success/prosperity to be overweight, at least with males. May have also been that way for wives (probably not applicable to mistresses).

I believe the health problems of being overweight (euphemism) are as significant, or more, than smoking, yet it would be considered poor manners to discuss someone else eating too much, but acceptable to comment about smokers. Of course, I have seen any studies about the dangers of second-hand food crumbs, or perhaps belching would be a better comparison.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike from West Yorkshire:
  • The fact that English was not taught for 30 years or so in schools, so kids are inarticulate and cannot communicate.
  • Did England have its own version of China’s Cultural Revolution? If not English, what was being taught?