Skip to main content

Reply to "I've got a new car!!"

quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
quote:
Surely we need to reduce the number of 'accidents' (as far as I am concerned, they are nothing of the sort). I could think of one way, but a lot of people would be very upset.
A tax on all cars that would make the minimum purchase price $100,000 would do it. It would be the opposite of a luxury tax - the cheaper the car, the higher the tax. Not only would there be fewer cars on the roads, but everyone would drive them VERY carefully.

Many, including myself, would never either buy a new car or spend this amount on a machine to transport things and people in it. I do not do the status symbol bit. I have never bought a car for more than £5000, and could not justify any more.

IMHO a good start to avoid prangs would be to have a psychometric test in the driving test; this would weed out all the people with short fuses and terminally impatient that should never be be allowed to be in charge of a ton of metal.
Another idea (as in motorcycles in UK) would be to limit BHP until either you are 21 and/or have taken a motorway driving test.
This would stop teenagers being killed when they run out of road thinking they impress their passengers by atrocious driving.
A further one would be, instead of the plethora of speed cameras, have more 'red traffic light' cameras, and do something about the idiot tailgaters.
Bullet-proof vest donned.........