Skip to main content

Reply to "I've got a new car!!"

quote:
Originally posted by Camera:

It is no surprise that the 2CV virtually disintegrated (no apologies to Mike here!) They were built as a "universal car" to be afforded by all and their versatility and adoption by the French farming community is proof of that. They started life pre war (1937 prototype) with a 375cc engine

Indeed, but the prototype bore no resemblance to the production car made in 1948.
quote:

A truck's impact would certainly burst that shell as you can see. Indeed it would, but there is a chassis there as well!
quote:

As to Mike's main vehicle the DS, what a design! I have throughout my life wondered at its mechanical advances and then steered well clear of them! I hanker after the later model convertible, but then sanity (& income) prevail!
(Chaperone built DS Convertibles tend to be 60K & up)
I have seen Chapron (note spelling) decaps much less - I would not want one as I need 4 doors, and do not like to lose the palatial room between the seats.
A decent DS can be found for £4k if you go to France.
Note the 'innovations' that are gradually appearing based on the DS years ago - steering headlights, high-level rear indicators etc.
quote:

The only "minimalist" motoring on 2CV lines I have ever done was in A Berkey with a tuned 500cc motorbike engine - the most unreliable car I have ever owned.
Fortunately, a 2CV is very reliable, as the mechanical build quality is superb.

As far as all this safety stuff - apart from the fact it is thinly-veiled marketing, it is attacking the problem from the wrong end.
The idea seems to be 'It doesn't matter if I wrap my car round something or someone - I will be safe'
Surely we need to reduce the number of 'accidents' (as far as I am concerned, they are nothing of the sort). I could think of one way, but a lot of people would be very upset.