Skip to main content

Reply to "I've got a new car!!"

If you look at the video closely, the cars that are "squished" comprehensively are a Citroen 2CV and an Austin Maxi, both built years before current standards. Look carefully at the third (red) car - possibly a MK1 VW Polo - notice how it deforms at both front and rear and the occupants, though shaken, would have stepped out of it.

It is no surprise that the 2CV virtually disintegrated (no apologies to Mike here!) They were built as a "universal car" to be afforded by all and their versatility and adoption by the French farming community is proof of that. They started life pre war (1937 prototype) with a 375cc engine, so it was designed to be light and strong rather like an egg! A truck's impact would certainly burst that shell as you can see.

As to Mike's main vehicle the DS, what a design! I have throughout my life wondered at its mechanical advances and then steered well clear of them! I hanker after the later model convertible, but then sanity (& income) prevail!
(Chaperone built DS Convertibles tend to be 60K & up)

The only "minimalist" motoring on 2CV lines I have ever done was in A Berkey with a tuned 500cc motorbike engine - the most unreliable car I have ever owned.

Funnily enough one is currently on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Berkeley-B105-very-rare-British-s...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Current activities? Shoehorning a larger engine (over my wife's dead body I might add - she would like me to buy a nice Volvo Estate) into the Convertible GTE I wrapped round a telegraph pole two years ago! I mean these poles they just lurk in the bushes and then jump out at you when you'r not looking!