Skip to main content

Reply to "I've got a new car!!"

quote:
Maybe things are different in the Antipodes, but modern cars here are full of software - it is cheaper than mechanical parts to produce - and only the dealers can access things that need checking or adjusting - they have £££££.00 equipment spent to do it.
Real mechanics that employ common sense are generally non-existent, and would have little to do. Service information is not freely available, either.
Many cars here have no drain plugs here - oil has to be changed by sucking it out of the dipstick tube! Transmission oil generally cannot be changed. 2 drain plugs - saving on cost of 10p per car.
It seems the manufacturers do not like people maintaining their own cars.

So true, Mike!
I recently had acceleration problems ,driving through the mountains in my van. The dealer, in the town I stopped in, put it on one of those confounded machines and I was on my way..$500.00 lighter and a major tuneup. Well, as soon I drove up the first mountain, it bogged down again. I drove it on home anyway. I took it to another dealer. It turned out to be the catalitic converter(under warranty)! I am still arguing with the first dealer about the charge, but all I hear is what their machine diagnoised!