Skip to main content

Reply to "How Am I Outbid by an Earlier Bid?"

quote:
Posted by Chatter: You are under the impression that eBay lists separate incremental amounts generated from one proxy bid.

Yes.
quote:
When you or anyone bids, that particular bid is registered only ONE TIME in the bid history. Even though someone else comes along and bids, that single bid that you made will still show up as one bid, even after the other person's bid caused more of your amount to be needed. The time/date of your bid does not change in the bid history, only the amount.
Ah, I see.
quote:
Had, A, B, or C come back later in the auction and entered separate bids for higher amounts, that would have been different. Their new bids of higher amounts would have registered separately.
I see the difference now.

quote:
Hopefully, this explanation... demonstrates...the need to read up on proxy bidding at eBay help.
If I recall correctly I did read that and I found it did not address my question.

I also contacted eBay at least twice about this issue prior to this incident. Each time they sent me a bunch of unhelpful guidelines which I think they copied from their unclear help files. All they had to was explain what you did. I found that very easy to understand. Thanks.