Skip to main content

Reply to "How about a loan???"

quote:
GT stands for gran turismo, or, as the Italians say, grand touring.
I won't give you the Mikeism for this, as this is a family show! Eek

That's generally true, or at least it was once upon a time, as the GT badge tends to find it's way onto the sportier and/or more "loaded" models- although not without exception. I believe it's really only applicable when referring to the GT series of racing, and over the years various manufacturers have ripped it off for their own models whether they are worthy of the Grand Turismo racing circuit or not; and it's logical to do so, because the GT badge definitely sells cars. My point was that no one company has exclusive rights to the GT nameplate, and to say "Pontiac GT" you could be referring to anything from a Fiero to a Grand Prix to a Sunfire; and to say just "GT" could mean anything from a $18K Hyundai to a $140K Ford. "Grand Turismo" does give it some relevence though, at least in theory, so it was unfair of me to say it has NO significance. I just figured at that point I'd probably said more than enough, being my first post and all. I get rankled when some self proclaimed authority on something comes crashing into a forum I'm a veteran of with both guns blazing... so I'm just trying to keep my hypocracy in check. Thanks for the clarification- in retrospect, I probably should have mentioned it.

I never thought I'd be having this discussion on an auction sniping board... I like you folks.

Don't suppose we could get that Mikeism in a pm, eh? I'm pretty curious too...