Skip to main content

Reply to "How about a loan???"

quote:
Those of you in the US probably dont know that this car is marketted over there as the Pontiac GT and exported from Australia

I can't believe nobody has said this yet, but the Holden Monaro is NOT sold here in the US as the Pontiac GT- it's the Pontiac GTO . May not seem like it makes much difference, but it's actually quite huge. I don't know what the historical significance of the Monaro name has in Australian auto timeline, but the GTO badge hearkens back to the Pontiac GTO "Goat" of the musclecar era. Rebadging the Monaro as a GTO was a largely unsuccessful GM sales ploy, since it shares virtually nothing with the original GTO's but the name, it was mostly rejected by the GTO faithful. I'm sure Pontiac could have sold twice as many Monaro's here if they hadn't called them GTO's.
The GT badge, on the other hand, has little significance. Aside from Ford's new megabuck "Ford GT" -a rebirth of the Ford GT40 from back in the day- GT is not a model name, it's more of a trim level (i.e. Ford Mustang GT, Pontiac Grand Am GT, Porsche Carrera GT, Hyundai Tiburon GT, etc...) and it is shared by most car manufacturers. The GTO name is licensed exclusively to Pontiac, and has an old and glorious history with originals in good condition commanding prices double and triple that of the new "GTO"... which I prefer to think of as a Holden Monaro, regardless of what GM says it is here in the US. Hope this doesn't come off sounding like a flame, it isn't my intention, I'm just a car nut.