3. Faster
  4. Sports car aura
  5. Alternative to nose picking
  6. One less automatic gizmo to fail
  7. Rev engine at stops
  8. Rev engine when downshifting
  9. More acceptable to wear racing gloves
  10. Gives left foot something to do
I’ve numbered them, Mike, to make it easier for you to point out my mistakes.
'Ere goes, Rick: Smile
1 - true in earlier autos where the engine was never connected directly to the transmission - most do now, so the continual slip does not happen; the driver of a manual can waste petrol more easily!
2 - mainly true, but only for new.
3 - on our overcrowded islands, not a problem.
4 - probably!
5 - I see many who manage both!
6 - true, for the later ones with electronics in them. Earlier autos are purely mechanical, and more reliable than a manual trans plus clutch.
7 - will negate any better fusl consumption.
8 - autos do this anyhow - doing it on a manual gives a smoother change and causes less work for the synchros.
9 - dunno - cannot wear gloves when I drive.
10 - if you are really agile, you could do (5) Wink

And the rest:
(a) more useful in uncrowded roads, maybe, but again, this is something that is one less item for the driver to concentrate on. They are notoriously unreliable as well.
(b) no problem, if people need it. In the current blob-shaped cars, they probably do.
(c)and d) - minimum - the 17 one we have now, but I think there should be a licence with some restrictions until, say, 21, as this is the age when they tend to write themselves off, and others as well.
Maximum - cannot be determined by age - when it is no longer safe to drive a car, but who can know this impartially?
quote:

What are your views on the following:
  1. Cruise control
  2. Parking assist
  3. Minimum/maximum age for males to have cars
  4. Minimum/maximum age for females to have cars

quote:
I presume you call them 'cigaret(te) lighters'?
Yes.

quote:
FYI, the gubmint have just said they are going to ban smoking in pubs in England.
Is that good news or bad?

Must be good - bar staff and customers no longer go home smelling like a bonfire, and live longer.
There were a few interviews on TV on the subject; the few that were against it were predictably of what I call the Sun reader ilk, "I fink basicly that, like, I should be able to smoke, like, know wot ah mean?"