Skip to main content

Reply to "Has the failed bid due to captcha issue been fixed?"

I had the "captcha-issue" today resulting in losing an auction. This is the first time this happened to me so that made me wonder why this happened today and not before seeing this issue have been around for a while.

Well today I logged in to EBay from work, something I never had done before, so my guess is that Ebay sees 2 different IPs in a short time span and this captcha thing kicks in when a bid is laid...
But then I also realised that Auctionsniper uses a different IP when they are placing my bid so it doesn't make any sense either that it worked before today, if Ebay are reacting to different IPs I mean( or maybe 3 different IPs are setting of alarms etc etc)...

Im going to try to put in some more snipes without logging in to Ebay from another computer than my stationary at home and see how it goes.

As someone else said in the thread, Ebay are shooting themeself in their foot with this BS, I have no time to put in manual bids and sit and guard auctions. So if this fail I will most certainly stop using Ebay all together

Edit: I just realised that I actually had placed a low manual bid on this auction also, something I rarely do. so thats another factor that also adds up I guess

Recap:
- I logged in to Ebay on 2 different computers(different locations) in a short time span(less than 12 hours), excluding the bid that Auctionsniper puts in which makes it 3 locations
- I had manually put in a bid on the auction beforehand (2-3 days ago).

I guess its hard to know what exactly triggers this and I bet Ebay will never let that information out. But if its that simple to avoid putting in manual bids and logging in from different IPs I can live with it.

Edit #2: Did some quick googling and found this which kinda confirms my suspicions: http://esniper.sourceforge.net/captcha.html

Edit #3: I also realised that my Ebay password is kinda weak so maybe that is a triggering point in combination with some of the above factors also...
Last edited by djo