Skip to main content

Reply to "Has anyone heard of this scam"

Littlebit, no he expressly said he wanted to drop both items. I too am struggling to think what he could gain. But how about this scenario: Bidders A,B,C and D are involved in my auction. A and B are good guys and are willing to pay £50 give or take. They bid the item up to £30 (they are not snipers !). C and D are the same person with 2 IDs. Quite early in the auction, C and D then bid the item up to £100, at which point A and B lose interest and never look again. Soon before the end C asks me to cancel his bid for £100 (I don't think he can do it himself < 12 hrs before end). I cancel C's bid and now D is the high bidder - but (is this right ?) - D's actual bid drops from £99 to one increment above the next highest, to £31. Nobody else bids (A and B have lost interest) and D wins at a lower price than A or B would have paid. Now there are a lot of things that would make this not work, not least snipers, but does this sound possible ? It sounds like a lot of trouble to go to with a limited chance of achieving anything. BTW my problem buyer has not responded to my email asking him for an explanation. In hindsight I should have let the auction finish, reported him then either relisted or offered to the next highest. Oh well, I'll know better next time ....