Skip to main content

Reply to "Fortune Cokkie III"

Mrs M -I use the green tomato just like a fresh apple and you don't have to peel it and it doesn't turn brown. I cut them in both slices and wedges. I pat them with towel if very moist. Devide the slices in half - dredge one half with flour the other half with Corn Starch. I shake off the flour but not the starch as I like a clear sauce. I used to use just a few drops of lemon but to keep the filling dry now I dust it with either lemon Jello or Lemon Kool Aid. Just a little or it will make the cinnamon bitter.
I have stopped making an Open lace Pastry Pie
and now use a simple Cinnamon Crumb filling.
3/4 cup of flour, a cup of sugar, 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon - fork mix in - six tablespoons of butter.
This green tomato filling I also layer between trimmed pork chops and bake with the
same crumb topping. This topping is great also on bread pan filled with Sweet Potatoes. When I use it on Yams I also drizzle pancake or Maple Syrup over the crumb mixture. Unfortunately there is no Lo-Cal version of this .
I have put a litle Dill also in the chops
but would rather have it in a big chunky loaf of fresh Dill Rye Bread.
Yesterday I braided some Garlic with the last of the fresh Dill. Woven into it are two Silver Plated Soup Spoons . It's a fall kitchen wall hanging I make for friends for Thanksgiving. I also trade them for Maple Syrup.Corn Relish & Salsa. - it keeps me out of or maybe off my rocker....
I have been off-line 3 days changing my E-Mail address to dump spam - I added two numbers to the address and it seems to have worked. still manually updating addresses.
I work a couple hours every day at it but
it has really taken the joy out of being online so must get it done.
Bartelby: I used to make pickles out of the small green tomatoes I made them with watermelon rind - sweet with cloves - crunchy
My grandmother used to add baby carrots and Onions that came from our thinning the rows. Needless to say that nothing was wasted. (still need a spell check on this program) - later,,,mory...