Skip to main content

Reply to "First bad EBay experience"

I just received an e-mail from PayPal saying that they ruled in my favor. So, I ended up getting my $55.95 back. On 4/14/08 the seller had elevated the dispute to a claim and just said, “This item has not been returned as of this date. Therefore, a refund or a replacement have not been issued.” On 5/10/08 (nearly a month later) PayPal then told me that I need to return the item and provide the tracking information if I expected a refund. I replied and provided the tracking information. I also stated that I had provided the tracking information to the company on 4/7/08 in an e-mail and that they chose to ignore the e-mail (as well as several other e-mails). I then explained that in my last call to customer service, they never said that they didn’t receive the product; they just said that I wouldn’t get a refund unless I first left positive feedback. I explained that I cannot believe this is an acceptable business practice that Ebay and PayPal would or should condone. After this exchange, I very quickly received my refund…and it came directly from PayPal as opposed to the company. PayPal made the statement that they would recover the money from the company. Based upon how quickly PayPal acted after I made that statement, it struck me that I likely wasn’t the first customer to make a statement like this against the company. So, this was win-win for me. I got my money back (less what I had to pay to ship it back), I got to make PayPal aware of this company’s shady business practices, and now I get to wait until 5/20/08 to leave negative feedback and the company can’t retaliate (at least I don’t believe they can…and even if they can, I don’t care). But, I’m still stunned that a company can send me the wrong product (let alone a product that doesn’t even work) and then I have to return the product AT MY COST if I want to receive a refund.