Skip to main content

Reply to "Fed up with loosing snipes ..."

quote:
Originally posted by Rick:
quote:
I only spotted this one whan I saw the subject loosing snipes and visualised snipes becoming like a plague of locusts! Big Grin
Then I realised it was a typo for losing.

Mike, I’ve been curious about this. It’s been commented before that Brits and Yanks have some different approaches to spelling. The one that comes to mind is “u” after “o” (ex: honour and colour). There also seems to be some difference between the use of “s” and “z”. Us Yanks use “realize”, but Brits seem to prefer using an “s” in place of the “z”. I’ve seen this in several posts, and it’s usually from Brits, Aussies or Scots (you know what they say – “You all look alike.”). Here’s the list:
https://community.auctionsniper.com/eve/forums?a=sea...Type=0&search=Search
There’s 41 more using “realised” and 10 more using “realising”.

Now, not only does “realise” appear to be popular, but “visualise” looks to be added to the list. Is this just one of those things where us Yanks are behind the time? Or is it just another thing that’s been Americanised?

I apologise if I sound like I’m criticising.

Fascinating subject, Rick! Some of the USA spellings have been 'simplified' like dropping 'ou' for 'o', and removing double letters, such as jewellery vs jewelry.
Mediaeval vs medieval, although the original ae was a diphthong.

Others are replacing 'c' with 's', as in: vise vs vice, defense vs defence.
I am not sure of 'license' on USA - one of the web sites got the UK version wrong on this. It is 'licence' for the noun, and 'license' for the verb here.

The 'loosing' problem is sometimes due, as are many errors, to spell checkers.
Loosing (letting something loose) is a perfectly valid word, but means something totally different from 'losing' (incurring a loss)

The ones that really drives me up the wall are apostrophes in plurals and 'oriogonal' or 'origional' - it doesn't even sound like 'original' That's Ebayese for you!