Skip to main content

Reply to "Exorbitant Shipping Fees"

I agree that the $18 charged is excessive, given the fact that there was no real packing effort done. Based on THAT ALONE, I would leave negative feedback, so that other members might be warned. The fact that positive feedback was already left would be a further advantage, given the fact that many sellers won't leave any feedback until they have already received theirs.

BUT, BUT, BUT, as has been pointed out, the auction listing DID list the $25 shipping charge, which you agreed to pay. Granted, the packing was nowhere near what should have been done, but that is after the fact. Since you did agree to pay the fee in advance and the items did arrive intact, then I would leave neutral feedback and take it on the chin, resolving that next time I saw such a high shipping charge and/or knew that the items should be packaged in a special way, I would confirm these details prior to bidding.

In fact, I do this. I sometimes notice that a comic book or magazine will have $1.97 media mail shipping from one seller, but another lists $5.00 for shipping. When asked, the latter says the 9x12 manila envelope is a buck and the magazine comes wrapped and with a cardboard sheet to keep it flat. With that extra weight and first class shipping, $5 is not unreasonable. At least the second seller wants to be sure the item arrives undamaged. But the point is that I ask in advance when I see high shipping rates posted, or none at all. If the seller does not respond to my inquiry prior to the end of the auction, then I take that as a warning sign and do not bid, no matter HOW MUCH I want the item. Wink