Skip to main content

Reply to "eBay scare tactics: snipped auction retroactively CANCELED"

I did some “limited” searching on ebay’s discussion boards. Didn’t find much. Found a comment or two complimenting ebay on restricting an account because someone(s) had indeed hacked their account.

quote:
My snipes became suspicious because their originating IP didn't match any of my other activity
quote:
It's just sniping can trigger automatic security measures under certain circumstances.
Both of those statements qualify for a “maybe yes – maybe no”. It might well have been the inactivity on the account, coupled with a recent high activity that triggered this. Both statements, as does the thread’s title, suggest a conclusion instead of an assumption. The thread’s title is a bit dramatic for something not supported by anything more then supposition. Even a “?” in the title might have created a more receptive/supportive environment – might have given more credibility to ebay’s reported response.

quote:
I was so freaked out by the whole affair and so relieved to have my account restored that I never questioned eBay on what really had occurred.
That might have been the place to start?

quote:
Now with the perspective of time and distance the message eBay is sending is clear: don't use sniping services or we are going to mess with you big time, possibly even close you out of your account permanently
quote:
I'm pretty bitter about it, but don't see there is anything I can do because eBay has all the power.
quote:
simplest theory to explain their actions is that they did it to warn/punish me for sniping.
quote:
but eBay has quite successfully intimidated me.
See any pattern?

quote:
Cool. I'm kind of relieved.
That’s what counts.