Skip to main content

Reply to "eBay scare tactics: snipped auction retroactively CANCELED"

region2-

The "Restored Account" was very real. I know how to avoid account phishers and other such hoaxes. I was truly locked out. I had to spend more than an hour with eBay support to get my account unlocked.

All my passwords always have very high security ratings. My accounts weren't compromised.

What your saying about logging IDs, passwords, and IP addresses makes sense, and in the absence of other info, that's exactly what eBay must have done. They looked at activity for my ID from auctionsniper.com IP addresses and canceled those transactions.

One other tidbit that I think is significant, is that when I was interacting with eBay support they were at first very mystified that old, totally complete auctions had been canceled. They were surprised when I told them that I had authorized the bids, paid for the items, and already received them. Finally, the support person asked if I had used a sniping service...

...and, as I said, I was so relieved to have my account unlocked I didn't push the support person further.