Skip to main content

Reply to "Ebay Requires Account Verification"

Having worked for eBay, I can only indicate that eBay has studied every angle for the potential of profit generation and they would not be making a move against the snipers unless they see a clear profit as a result.

They (eBay) studied the Coin Community Watch Group right out of existence as a result one of their studies.

I do know from discussions with others at eBay that "new" bidders were also seen as a profit area - retention of old bidders was a lower priority.

Also, which came as a surprise to me, the more technical bidding areas like coins and collectibles were seen as only marginal profit sources compared to other more market driven auctions (clothes jewels watches). At one point when they were being pressed by the ANA and politicians, eBay legal seriously considered ceasing auctions of coins because they were not worth it. They instead began the 6 year experiment with the Coin Watch Committee which tracked and eliminated fraud in the coins area. We terminated hundreds of frauds a week and the bottom line was a $1,000,000 loss on the eBay bottom line. Right after that new was published the committee was disbanded.

So I believe my assumptions fit the facts well. This is an orchestrated and very intentional move by eBay.

The only thing eBay actually fears is a law suit. This anti-competitive aspect of their behavior could be the basis for a class action law suit.