Skip to main content

Reply to "dutch auction"

hmmm, hiya pup, methinks you made it sound a little more complicated than my understanding of it (i'm really just a simple guy) . . . but then i'm just working on my first cup o java this morning . . . at the end of the day, no matter how HIGH i bid, as long as i'm in the winning group, my actual cost should only be one (1) increment above the highest losing bidder, right?

for example, let's say that there are five items available in this dutch auction and there are twenty bidders bidding for forty of these items (some bidders want two or three of these items, etc.) . . . okay, still with me? . . . if i snipe with a takeout off-the-wall bid at the end of the auction, my actual cost would be the lowest price (the exact same price) that each winner pays . . . and according to my limited understanding that price would be one increment above the highest losing bid . . . right?

let's say in my example that my off-the-wall bid of $200 puts me into the winning group, and by my bid the previously no. 5 guy (yes, i know it is bit items and not bidders when some bidders want multiple items) drops out of the picture as the now no. 6 guy, but his highest bid is only $50 . . . . okay, so the winning price for each of the items for each of the winning dutch auction bidders is $51, right?

if i'm wrong somewhere in this analysis, please point it out to me . . . thanks, steve