Skip to main content

Reply to "Did not win, ?Bid over buy it now price?"

quote:
So, they risk paying more than the BIN, but they also stand to pay less. How else would one do it?
I think the only way one could accomplish what the OP was attempting to do would be to have TWO AS accounts:
- AS account #1 would snipe first (say at 13 secs lead time) for the user's TRUE max -- $12.
- AS account #2 would snipe second (say at 8 secs lead time) for 1 penny less than the BIN price.

Results:
If current item price at time of snipe is LESS than BIN price, then account #1 snipe will FAIL -- disallowed by ebay; account #2 snipe will be accepted by ebay (as long as bid increments permit it).

If current item price at time of snipe is GREATER than BIN price (BIN would have disappeared at this point), then account #1 snipe will be accepted as long as it is greater than current item price + bid increment; account #2 snipe will fail -- "Bid too low".

It's interesting to note that in the above scenario, one would NOT be in danger of bidding oneself up in spite of placing TWO snipes -- one snipe ALWAYS fails! Now, if ebay makes a software change ALLOWING bids exceeding BINs, the sniper WOULD risk bidding himself up by one extra bid increment with the 2 snipes placed.

An interesting mind puzzle! While the above stategy COULD be done, I don't think I'd do it or recommend it. I'd just jump on the BIN myself!