Skip to main content

Reply to "Data Table Practice!"

...in reserve auction.

Puppy Posted:
quote:
Doesn't the current price jump to the max bid until the reserve is met ?

There seems to be a lot of bids that should have been rejected as invalid (to low).

You alluded to this claim about reserve auctions in an earlier post, which I didn't address. The current bid jumping to your max bid if less than reserve does not seem to happen in all ebay catagories. The one catagory I KNOW that happens is vehicles on Ebay Motors. It may in fact work that way on ALL things posted on Ebay Motors. There may be other ebay catagories it works that way, also, but NOT ALL.

As you can see from auction 24, it behaves just like a non-reserve auction with the addition of the "Reserve not met" comment next to the winning bid. It would make sense if ebay was to change ALL reserve auctions to behave the way they do on eBay Motors -- and that change may happen sometime.

The problem with the old way, there has to be at least TWO bidders in order to win a reserve auction! A single bidder can bid increasing amounts 10 times, yet the bid will never exceed the "reserve not met" opening bid! Frown In the newer (ebay Motors) style reserve auction, a single bidder can bid against the reserve, which acts sorta like a "proxy bidder" raising the auction bid amount until the reserve is finally exceeded.

Make sense? If anyone has additional info re: the current status of ebay reserve auctions, I'd certainly like to hear it. Smile

Jabbergah