Skip to main content

Reply to "Dammit Murphey!"

Oh ... btw, if you get one of those greenhouses it will require a foundation (instructions are in the assembly instructions). Personally, I like the raised foundations (you'll need to finagle the door) - you can do a 2-3 foot cinderblock or cement foundation - makes a nicer backdrop for plantings around the greenhouse and gives you more area in the greenhouse to work with (always needed). You would also want to look into getting an automatic vent opener for the 'window' in the top (charleys greenhouses has them). I am severly disturbed that this greenhouse is $1000 less than the one I bought, and about the same size Frown Mine is a one piece fiberglass unit that doesn't require a foundation - you just dig a little trench and bury it a couple of inches. Mine is supposed to last 30 years - and the panels on the one in the link generally last from 5 to 10 years, but you can replace them as needed - my whole greenhouse will have to get tossed (by whomever owns my house at the time - hopefully I'll be retired by then!).

If you do go with a full sized greenhouse I found that reading every book/article I could find before I put a single plant into it saved me hours of headaches and $$$ in replacing the plants I probably would have killed Smile There's also a greenhouse organization (hobby greenhouse assoc) that has a nice little magazine.

Speaking of greenhouses ... it's past time for me to get my butt in gear and start some plants! I usually do it in Jan/Feb, but it was still too cold this year. I have a couple of 'straggler' tomato plants coming back - and some flowers that I started last fall. Oh, and my sweet peas in the greenhouse are starting to bloom!

Smile