Skip to main content

Reply to "Complaints"

A filling station, fueling station, gas station or petrol station is a facility which sells fuel and lubricants for motor vehicles. The most common fuels sold are gasoline (petrol) or diesel fuel.

Some stations carry specialty fuels such as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), natural gas, hydrogen, biodiesel, ethanol, or kerosene. In recent times filling stations have also begun to sell butane and added shops to their primary business, and convenience stores are now a familiar sight alongside pumps.

The term "gas station" is mostly used in the United States and Canada, where petrol is known as "gas" or "gasoline." In Canada, the term "gas bar" is also frequently used. Elsewhere in the English-speaking world the form "petrol station" or "petrol pump" are used. In the United Kingdom the single noun garage is still commonly used, even though the petrol station may have no service/maintenance facilities which would justify this description. Similarly, in Australia, the term service station ("servo") describes any petrol station. In Japanese English, it is called a "gasoline stand". In some regions of America, filling stations usually have a mechanic on duty, but this is uncommon in other parts of the world.

Inconclusion:

Americans are known for shortening words so more can be said in a shorter time frame. We go to "gas stations" to buy "gas." It's simple and straight forward. However, if I were in another country I would try to adhere to their language so (I think) in Australia I would say I am going to the "Servo" to purchase "petrol" is that correct?